About Sakura Science Plan
We invite people from Asian countries and others to Japan through Sakura Science Plan in a collaboration of industry-academia-government, to introduce and offer experience in Japanese science and technology. Beginning in 2014, and for a period of 6 years, over 30,000 young people visited Japan on this program.
Purposes of Sakura Science Plan
By exchanging ideas in the field of science and technology among the participants of Sakura Science Plan, we can:
- - Support the development of talented people overseas who have the potential to contribute to innovation in science and technology; and support continuous interaction between Japan and other countries and regions.
- - Promote globalization of Japanese education and research institutes
- - Strengthen good relationship between Japan and other countries and regions
And ultimately we pursue the development of science and technology in Japan and worldwide.
Eligibility Criteria for Sakura Science Plan
Students, researchers and others engaged in science and technology who are 40 years old or younger from the following 41 countries and regions:
Eligible Countries and Regions
Two Programs of Sakura Science Plan
|Features||How to Apply||Invitation Period||Schedule in FY2019|
|Open Application Program||JST supports the necessary expenses for the programs selected as Open Application Program.||Overseas and Japanese organizations jointly plan the program, and the Japanese organization sends applications to JST within the designated period.||Seven days to three weeks||From the end of May 2020 to March 15, 2021|
|JST Direct Invitation Program||JST plans the programs and implements the programs as a host organization.||Not open for public application||Seven days||April to December, 2020|
Open Application Program
Four reviews for selection will be conducted in 2020FY.
For more details, please check here.
Three Kinds of Open Application Programs
- Course A: Science and Technology Experience Course
- Foreign youth participate in science and technology exchange programs arranged by host organizations in Japan. The period of stay is limited to 7 days. The number of people who can be invited is limited to ten per sending organization, and 15 in case of the invitation from multiple sending organizations (supervisors are excluded in both cases).
- Course B: Collaborative Research Activities Course
- Foreign youth participate in short term joint research programs arranged by host organizations in Japan. The period of stay is limited to 3 weeks. The number of people who can be invited is basically limited to ten (supervisors are excluded).
- Course C: Science and Technology Training Course
- Foreign youth participate in converged training to acquire specific technique and skills related to science and technology arranged by the host organizations. The period of stay is limited to 10 days. The number of people who can be invited is limited to 15 per country or region, and 25 from multiple countries and regions (supervisors are excluded in both cases).
Procedure to Implement a Program
Results of Selection
List of Participated Organizations
The organizations that have implemented the Open Application programs can be viewed as followed:
JST Direct Invitation Program
There are two kinds of programs which JST plans and implements as a host organization.
SAKURA SCIENCE High School Program
Excellent high school students from overseas countries and regions are invited to experience science and technology in Japan
SAKURA SCIENCE Supporters Program
Foreign experts in the field of science and technology or education, who are engaged in implementation of Sakura Science Plan are invited to Japan to experience Japanese cutting-edge science and technology, as well as science and technology administration.